D-OB Sign. Lit. 3
Ottobeuren, Bibliothek der Benediktiner Abtei, Sign. Lit. 3 Choirbook of liturgical music.
Provenance: Copied by Frater Christian Frantz for the Benedictine monastery in Ottobeuren, 1577.
Published inventory and study: Johannes Hoyer, "Frater Christian Frantz' Chorbuch von 1577 (Sign. Lit. 3) aus der Benediktinerabtei Ottobeuren," Neues musikwissenschaftliches Jahrbuch 10 (2001): 15-70. Some of the Isaac pieces are identified incorrectly.
No DIAMM entry.
Source of pieces in Choralis Constantinus II:
Probably copied from the Choralis print.
Choralis Constantinus II contents:
- Mass 1
- Introit-Puer natus est (fol. 2r) - verse, A and B only
- Mass 5
- Introit-Rorate coeli (fol. 16v)
- Mass 8
- Introit-Spiritus Domini (fol. 44v)
- Mass 9
- Alleluia-Caro mea (fol. 85v) - for Corpus Christi and Translation of S. Alexander, with different text
- Mass 15
- Alleluia-Assumpta est Maria (fol. 68v)
- Mass 22
- Alleluia-Martinus episcopus (fol. 80v)
- Mass 23
- Alleluia-Felix virgo (fol. 81v)
Character of variants in Choralis Constantinus II pieces:
Two pieces (Introit 8 and Alleluia 9) have substantial cuts that must be intentional, because they correspond in all voices.
Introit 8 has a revised version of a decorative melisma in which a pair of fusae is replaced by a semiminim.
One piece has an alternative liturgical assignment and text.