Ludovico Zacconi, Prattica di musica (Venice: B. Carampello, 1592 r1596)
Facsimile edition: Bologna: Forni, 1967
Source of examples from Choralis Constantinus II: Probably the Choralis print.
Choralis Constantinus II contents:
- Mass 2
- Sequence, v. 6, mm. 3-6 (T; fol. 190v)
- Sequence, v. 12, mm. 19-25 (A; fol. 189v)
- Mass 3
- Sequence, v. 14, mm. 1-9 (T and B; fol. 107v)
- Mass 6
- Communion, mm. 3-7 (T; fol. 191r)
- Mass 10
- Sequence, v. 4, mm. 15-22 (B; fol. 192r)
- Mass 11
- Sequence, v. 14, mm. 14-20 m. 1 (A; fol. 191r)
- Mass 13
- Sequence, v. 22, mm. 8-9 (T; fol. 155v)
- Mass 18
- Introit, mm. 8-12 (T; fol. 190v)
- "Alleluia della dedicatione del tempio" is said to illustrate a half-black long (fol. 32v-33r).
- Example of a black breve-breve ligature plus semibreve is said to be from "Sidus radio sequenza della Pasqua" (fol. 42v). The notes do not appear in the Mass 6 sequence or verse 6 of the Mass 2 sequence, which includes the words "sidus radio."
- Example from "Alleluia della Pentecoste" (fol. 192r) illustrates dots of alteration and perfection.
Character of the Choralis Constantinus II examples:
All of Zacconi's examples are short excerpts. All but one show only one voice.
The examples serve as illustrations of notational principles. Two of them differ slightly from the print.
- Mass 2, Sequence, v. 6: unnecessary and undesirable coloration. The example has a different clef from the one in the Choralis print and a flat signature not in the print. The last few pitches differ from the print.
- Mass 2, Sequence, v. 12: coloration used to prevent perfection and alteration of semibreves.
- Mass 3, Sequence, v. 14: perfect prolation including white flagged minims and semiminims.
- Mass 6, Communion: unnecessary coloration.
- Mass 10, Sequence, v. 4: incorrect imperfect breve (which should have been an altered semibreve) before another breve. Zacconi misinterprets a breve in the print as part of the preceding ligature and states on that basis that the ligature is incorrect.
- Mass 11, Sequence, v. 14: correct notation of a black breve + black long in ligature.
- Mass 13, Sequence, v. 22: proportion of inequality of tactus and figures. Zacconi adds the sign Ø2/3 that is not in the print. He attributes the example to Obrecht and says incorrectly that the voice is the A.
- Mass 18, Introit: unnecessary and undesirable coloration.